Friday, February 27, 2009

Wettin' My Feet

1. Snap Peas, 2. Marigold, 3. Tomato, 4. Onion

I put the Marigold and snap pea seeds into water on Feb. 25. I put the Yellow pear cherry tomato and Rossa di Milano Onion seeds into water on the 26th. I am not sure where I got this tactic of putting seeds into water until the roots come out from, and I'm not sure if it's actually good, but it works so I'm sticking with it. According to some texts, I think you're actually supposed to put them in wet paper napkins. Not too much of a difference. I still must prepare the ground. By this, I mean cover it with compost and water it.
I put the seeds into small yogurt containers to germinate. Please bear with my backyard assemblage of science tools.
I'm trying to follow my bible (Gaia's Garden) and do things the "natural" way. The "work with nature" method of gardening, which is to till as little as possible and add organic materials onto the soil. Compost follows, and the seeds go into this compost. This philosophy works well for me as I also like to keep it simple and easy, but this is not the reason I do it this way.

No comments: